GPS locators are great navigation tools that are truly helpful when traveling, especially if you are unable to find your way. But the device is also an excellent tracker, and some are taking advantage of this functionality. If you feel that you are being spied on using this device, here are the steps to locating and disabling GPS locator in car. The process doesn’t require a special skill, although you will need a few tools.
Scroll down for videos
Disabling GPS Locator in Car: How It Is Properly Done
You will need a GPS detection device and a flashlight.
Locating the GPS Locator
- Search your car physically and visually using the tools listed above. Look for a small rectangular box, may be as small as a matchbox or a deck of cards. It’s likely black or gray in color. Inspect the bumpers, the undercarriage, even the interior of your car. Since a GPS locator is tiny, it’s easier to set up but difficult to spot. Use the flashlight when searching in hard-to-reach areas. Newer model of GPS tracking units have built-in batteries, so don’t expect to find it hardwired to your car’s system, though it is still possible.
- If you don’t have a counter surveillance tool, get one. It costs about $300, it is available in most online gadget or automotive stores. It’s helpful in finding hidden spy gadgets.
- Switch on your bug detector and scan your car using it. It can detect spy signal within 3- to 5-meter range. You will know if you find the GPS locator by the rapid beeping sound it emits coupled with flashing lights.
- Do it twice or thrice at various times because some tracking devices only transmit signals at specific time intervals, usually between 60 seconds and 2 hours, and GPS spy detector is only able to catch trackers when they are transmitting.
- Once you find it, disabling GPS locator in car can be done by removing its battery or the entire device.
How to Jam the GPS Signal
- For $200, you can buy a GPS jamming device. A variety of this device is commonly sold online at selected department stores.
- To install the device, detach the cigarette lighter and plug the power socket into it.
- Once you switch it on, it will automatically discharge a signal that will block the GPS tracking device from transmitting data, disabling GPS locator in car.