GPS locator are great navigation tools that are truly helpful when traveling especially if you are unable to find your way. But the device is also an excellent tracker and some are taking advantage of this functionality. If you feel that you are being spied on using this device, here’s how you can locate and deactivate it. The process doesn’t require a special skill, although you will need a few tools.
Scroll down for videos
What You Need
You will need a GPS detection device and a flashlight.
How to Locate the GPS Locator
- Search your car physically and visually using the tools listed above. Look for a small rectangular box, may be as small as a matchbox or a deck of cards. It’s likely black or grey in color. Inspect the bumpers, the undercarriage, even the interior of your car. Since GPS locator are tiny, it’s easier to set up but difficult to spot. Use the flashlight when searching in hard-to-reach areas. Newer model of GPS locators have built-in batteries, so don’t expect to find it hardwired to your car’s system, though it is still possible.
- If you don’t have a counter surveillance tool, get one. It costs about $300, it is available in most online gadget or automotive stores. It’s helpful in finding hidden spy gadgets.
- Switch on your bug detector and scan your car using it. It can detect spy signal within 3- to 5-meter range. You will know if you find the GPS locator by the rapid beeping sound it emits coupled with flashing lights.
- Do it twice or thrice at various times because some tracking devices only transmit signals at specific time intervals, usually between 60 seconds to 2 hours, and GPS spy detector is only able to catch trackers when they are transmitting.
- Once you find it, you can disable the tracker by removing its battery or the entire device.
How to Jam the GPS Signal
- For $200, you can buy a GPS jamming device. A variety of this device are commonly sold online and at selected department stores.
- To install the device, detach the cigarette lighter and plug the power socket into it.
- Once you switch it on, it will automatically discharge a signal that will block the GPS tracking device from transmitting data.