You might have already noticed that your smartphone has been spying on you. Both Android and iOS devices have the ability to keep track of your every move. Most mobile applications actually need this to be turned on so they can function accordingly but in this generation, you can also stop it by its disabling location services.
Location Tracking with GPS
This is known as location tracking. It utilizes your phone’s built-in GPS to determine your whereabouts and deliver this piece of information to the applications that require them. Uber and Google Maps are among the examples of mobile apps that utilize location tracking to work.
Scroll down for video
While location tracking may be useful, it still makes people feel like their privacy is invaded. So if you happen to find yourself sharing the same sentiment, here are the factors of disabling location services for both iPhone and Android users:
1. Disabling location services for iOS (iPhone, iPad)
- Go to Settings and select Privacy
- Tap on the Location Services tab
- You should be able to see the list of applications that utilize location services
- You then have two options: disable them all by moving the slider at the top or disable location services only for a specific application
2. Disabling Location Services for Android (Android handheld devices)
- Open the app drawer and go to Settings
- Select Location
- Tap on Google Location Settings
- Tap Location Reporting and Location History and switch the slider to off for each one
- To delete the cache, select the Delete Location History option situated right below Location History
- Repeat for each Google Account you have on your Android device.
Note that after disabling location services, applications that require them may constantly prompt you to turn it back on. If you need those apps, you may opt to turn location services on, then delete the history before the day ends.
Another option here is to purchase a separate tracking device if you want to be safe without having to store the data in your mobile phone. Trackimo is a GPS tracking system that offers a Web application that allows users to manage and transmit their location information in a more organized and protected manner. Remember, GPS tracking data can be a lifesaver, so you wouldn’t want to rule it out of your daily routine.
Watch the video below