One of the most remarkable features of an advanced GPS tracking system has to be geo-fencing. This gives information on both the user’s current location and its predefined geographical area. Parents who want to monitor teenage drivers and fleet managers who are keeping track of their vehicles have all benefited from geo-fencing.
Scroll down for videos
What is geo-fencing and how do I use it?
A GPS tracking device attached to the vehicle is needed to get information on its location. Users can do so with their smartphone, PC, or tablet.
A geo-fence acts as a virtual barrier. Users go to the geo-fencing function found in software programs to set this up. The software uses both global positioning system (GPS) and radio frequency identification (RFID) to define the geographical boundaries. If the subject goes beyond these boundaries, a notification or alert will be sent.
The geo-fence generally has a limit of 200 meters.
How is geo-fencing beneficial?
- Productivity. Geo-fencing is used by several business industries to increase productivity in various ways. A good example is how it helps fleet managers assign their trucks to a specific area, and they use it to make sure drivers are following the assigned routes.
- Reduce costs. Optimized routes can lead to massive savings on both fuel and maintenance costs.
- Safety. As mentioned, parents/caregivers can take advantage of geo-fencing as well. Geo-fencing gives them the assurance that their loved ones are safe within a perimeter and they’ll receive an immediate alert if the subject crosses it.
- Traveling. If you happen to go on a road trip, make sure to install a GPS device on your vehicle. Geo-fencing will help you navigate around unfamiliar roads or terrains.
- Avoid theft. Car theft is common nowadays, even when you happen to park your vehicle in a secured lot. Give yourself peace of mind by setting a geo-fence. This can also be used if you leave your vehicle with a mechanic or anyone outside your family and someone you’re not really close with.
Trackimo geo-fencing tools
Trackimo is a GPS tracking device equipped with numerous attractive features, geo-fencing being just one of them. To set up a geo-fence, go directly to the Trackimo dashboard. Should the device go beyond the virtual fence, you will automatically receive an alert.
Trackimo has two ways of setting geo-fences: with the Trackimo Live Tracking system and another is by using the free Trackimo mobile application. Users also have the option to modify or delete the fence.
Setting virtual boundaries is incredibly useful for a number of reasons. This will give users assurance their vehicles and assets are safe no matter where they are.